Sunday, September 11, 2011

Driving down the wrong road

Last night I took another drive down the wrong road... I decided that I wanted to go out somewhere for a change, instead of spending another Saturday night sitting home alone. I did not have any plans, or anyone to do anything with, so I decided to hit one of the places I used to frequent in the past - The Bayou in Albany. I had gone there several times in the past couple of years, although it had been over a year since I was last there, or any bar/club, for that matter. I showered, dressed, set my hopes to low, and headed out. The band (STATIC) put on a good show, and the place was pretty full, but that was pretty much it for me. While I did not try to hide out of the way where nobody would notice me, and instead tried to stay right in the middle of the crowd, it did not make a difference. My confidence is still nowhere near enough for me to approach and talk to anyone (especially members of the opposite sex) that I don't know, and even though I was doing my best not to blend in with the woodwork, nobody talked to me either, other than a person I already knew, and someone who thought I worked there and wanted to know where the bathroom was. The misadventure re-confirmed to me a couple of things... I have a long ways to go as far as being confident goes, and that the club scene is pretty much not the place for me to go to try and meet people. Sure, it is fine once in a while for a night out, especially if I go with friends, but even if there are girls there who have things in common with me, I would never know. It's not the place to have a quiet conversation to try and get to know each other, and with the steady flow of alcohol and steady stream of guys there with one thing on their minds, she would never notice me anyway, even if she was there. I need to continue to focus my search in other places, and perhaps then I will find someone that I will get to spend some time with. The night was not a complete loss- I enjoyed the music, it only cost me $20.00 for the night out, and it confirmed to me some of the things that I already know, but still don't always accept or want to accept, about both myself and about the types of places I need to be looking. So while I won't continue to go out to clubs/bars in hopes of using them as a place to necessarily meet people, that does not mean that I won't continue my search, I will just try to take a different road to reach my destination from now on. If only it were as easy as Map-questing the directions for this trip!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe picking up someone from bars is a common thing to do, but it has very low chance for someone like u to get to meet her, than the chances u try in IP. I'm sure u can find better acquaintance in IP than in running into strangers. But I like this post, it's organized thoughts, concluded well, mederate

    ReplyDelete